Overview & Features
The Uganda Zoo, officially known as Uganda Wildlife Education Centre (UWEC) was opened in 1952 by the colonial government as a reception center for wild animals that were found as casualties (sick, injured, orphaned or/and confiscated from illegal trade). Under the authority of the Game Department, an animal orphanage was created in 1956, to hand raise the orphaned animals received through the Game Department. With time, this collection became bigger, generating a great interest from the public in the animals. This then prompted the creation and development of a National Zoo in 1962.
Posted in: Sights & Sounds (Mobile App)