On Feb 10th, 2017, we, along with the rest of the world joined hands to celebrate International Scotch Day as part of global #LoveScotch Campaign. Diageo, the liquor giant behind such brands as Johnnie Walker, Ciroc and Smirnoff, among others, is trying to charm giddy, lovestruck youngsters (of legal age, of course) to fall in love with Scotch Whisky with a month-long celebration called #LoveScotch, whose core goal is to remind you that Scotch Whisky (simply understood as whisky coming out of the country of Scotland) has never been exclusionary.. it’s always been for you. It’s your time to discover.
Some of most renowned Scotches with Diageo include Vat 69, J&B Rare, Johnnie Walker, Singleton, Lagavulin and Talisker. The brands are crafted by highly-skilled makers who select choice whiskies from 29 distilleries in Scotland and millions of maturing casks.
So down to what brought you here: Mixing with Scotch is kind of like having a group date. You get to know idiosyncratic, bad boy Scotch in the company of some friendlier buffers without taking anything too seriously. 🙂 Enjoy these recipes over this weekend and let us know your thoughts:
4. J&B Cola with a Twist
Inspired by an Italian, created in London and distilled in Scotland, J&B Rare is unlike any other Scotch whisky. It brings together 42 single malt and grain whiskies and carefully blends them to create a subtle, smooth and complex flavour. Great in a cocktail, the unique blend makes it perfect for mixing – so by all means go overboard on the mixers, but please don’t go overboard on the J&B. (wink)
1. Grab a tall glass.
2. Fill it with ice and pour in the J&B Rare (50ml).
3. Fill with Coca Cola
4. Squeeze in the juice of an orange wedge and place it on top for garnish. You may add more orange squeezes in their for flavour.
3. The Long Walker aka Black Apple
Johnnie Walker Black Label is a true icon. Created using whiskies from the four corners of Scotland, it is an impressive whisky to share on any occasion. Ginger and apple flavours deliciously complement a pour of Johnnie Walker Black Label by adding spicy and gently sweet notes, and making this one of the finest long drinks you’ll savour.
1. Grab a tall glass.
2. Fill it with ice and pour in the Johnnie Walker Black Label (50ml).
3. Fill 3/4 way with Apple Juice and top up with Stoney Tangawizi. You may stir gently.
4. Cut a slice of green apple and place on top to garnish.
This was a big hit at the International Scotch Day celebration at Liquid Silk on Feb 10 and can surely be a hit at your party too.
2. Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve & Dark Chocolate
This is for the show off in all of us, when you must make a statement.. which coincidentally for many of us is often. Luxurious, creamy and honeyed, Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve made for indulgence.
1. Put the bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve in the freezer for at least one night before you serve it
2. Pull out some Dark Chocolate: This can either be cubes or something more elaborate like a chilled Chocolate Fudge Cake
3. Serve 50ml the whisky neat into a Whisky Glass. Be sure to nose it’s aroma before you indulge
4. Follow every bite of the Dark Chocolate with a sip of the chilled Gold Label Reserve and enjoy as the flavours explode in your mouth
What we love most about this recipe is that it’s more attainable than you think with the Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve 750ml going for UGX 160-170,000 at the House of Walker and most supermarkets.
This makes it to Number 1 purely for its versatility.. you can easily go beyond this core recipe and add your individual personality to it simply by playing around with basic home ingredients. Red Label is Johnnie Walker’s Pioneer Blend, the one that introduced their whisky to the world and it’s core characteristic is it’s mixability, making it the leading choice for bartenders world wide when making cocktails such as the Whisky Sour.
1. Grab a tall glass.
2. Fill it with ice and pour in the Johnnie Walker Red Label (50ml).
3. Fill up with Stoney Tangawizi and stir gently.
4. Squeeze a slice of lemon into the drink and leave the lemon in there as a garnish.
1.Pour 2 Drops of hot Tabasco into the drink and let us know what you think.
2. Throw a few sprigs of mint into the glass for some extra freshness.
3. Forget the glass, prepare in pitcher / jug and limit those trips to the kitchen.
Do something new this weekend and try out one of these recipes and tricks. Share your experience on the hashtag #LoveScotch and let us know which one’s your favourite!